It’s taper time before your big event Saturday! You’ve worked so hard the last few months training for She Tris Sprint Triathlon. You’ve built up your muscles and endurance and now it’s time to take the gas pedal off of your training a bit and prepare for your big day. You don’t want to go into hibernation mode, but rather keep your body moving at a lesser pace and lesser distance. It’s time to let your body recharge and prepare for event day! Welcome to the taper. The taper always makes me feel like a crazy person. It’s like I should be wearing caution tape around my body and my husband now knows to tread lightly around me when I’m tapering.
Now you might be wondering what to do with all of your “free time” and you start to stress about the event. And why are you still so hungry despite the lessened training load and intensity? Why are you now worried about an event that you only last week felt so prepared for? You are questioning why you signed up for this? Welcome to the taper craziness. It will wreck your head if you let it. I came up with a list of fun things to do to help you through this week!
- Continue to make healthy food choices. Don’t eat the stuff you wouldn’t normally consume. You’ll feel bad because of what you ate and then stress about it.
- Take your bike to Trek for a final once over to make sure everything is working ok! Forego tinkering with it yourself. That would be a bad idea.
- It’s not the best time to try hand gilding or running the bridge for the first time, but it is a great time to ride your bike with your kids or take a walk with your significant other!
- Get outside and stay germ free!
- Stay off your weather app obsessing about the weather! I’m not doing this so neither should you!
- Be happy the event takes place on a mostly flat course with beautiful scenery!
- Treat yourself to a pedicure with pretty colors!
- Visit our sponsors and treat yourself to something new-you’ve earned it!
- Make a plan for something fun the week after the event to celebrate with your girls!
- Look at race photos from happy people finishing She Tris last year!
- Wash the dog. If you don’t have one, arrange to wash mine!
I can’t wait to see y’all on Saturday! What’s your plan for something to do this week to battle the crazies?
Yours in fitness,